[lbo-talk] Chickens and unfertilized eggs (was Catholicism, was Re: blacks about...

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Dec 14 20:25:58 PST 2008

On Dec 14, 2008, at 10:16 PM, John Thornton wrot
> ...Shane....flails about with misdirections about abortion and what
> is or isn't kosher.
> The kosher issue is something I never attempted to address as I
> admit to complete ignorance as well as complete indifference as to
> what is and isn't kosher.

Lets go over this from the beginning.

Christian abortion-prohibitionists argue that any fetus in a woman is a human being from the moment of conception.

Jesus was a practicing Jew.

Jewish dietary law prohibits eating meat in the same meal with milk or milk products.

If a human fetus is a human from the moment of conception, humans being *biologically* like all animals that reproduce sexually, it follows necessarily that a chicken fetus is a chicken from the moment of conception.

If a chicken fetus is a considered a chicken, then any egg that has been fertilized is a chicken from the moment of conception, and so eating it in the same meal with milk or a milk product is forbidden to Jews.

But Jesus, a practicing Jew, believed he was in conformity to Jewish dietary law whenever he ate an egg in the same meal with milk or a milk product.

Therefore Jesus did not believe that at such times he was eating a chicken.

But if Jesus believed that the life of an animal begins at the moment of conception he would also have believed that at such times he was eating a chicken.

Therefore Jesus did not believe that an animal's life should be considered to begin at conception.

Which proves that Christian abortion-prohibitionists argue from a position on the inception of human life contrary to that of their God.

This is the dialectical sequence called into play were Christian abortion-prohibitionists forced to answer the question I modestly started with: "--Why did Jesus count it as kosher to drink milk with his egg salad but treif to drink milk with his chicken salad?"

That their response might start with animadversions about the immaculate conception of chickens is perhaps expectable. That members of a Marxism list would do so also, and even vehemently, is...remarkable.

Shane Mage