[lbo-talk] Progress and Cariucature (Was Re: Catholicism. . . )

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 14 21:40:48 PST 2008

If the only "morality available is capitalist morality," then where did *that* come from? If during feudalism "the only morality was feudal morality," how did its successor, "capitalist morality," come to be? Impersonal structural contradictions just kinda shot it out into peoples' heads via x-ray beams...?

"For exploitation, veiled by religious and political illusions, the bourgeoisie has substituted naked, shameless, direct, brutal exploitation." - Communist Manifesto.

No normative sense of morals expressed there, eh? I would think if you were paying the classical Marxist angle you would say proletarian morality existed in contradiction to capitalist morality -- the germ of the new society in the shell of the old -- instead of the absolute statement that "the only morality available is capitalist morality," which is pretty ridiculous.

-B.

Carrol Cox wrote:

"I have no moral objections to capitalism. That is absurd, since the only 'morality' available is capitalist morality. Marx does not 'oppose' capitalism ideologically; but Rousseau does. For Marx, it is history;"