[lbo-talk] Avalon Hill's "Class Struggle" boardgame

WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 06:32:47 PST 2008

I have an unpristine copy of the 1978 version that I ordered off ebay several years ago for about 20 bucks. It's amusing to have around -- the cover is pretty good, the chance cards are kinda funny and it can be entertaining to try to crack it out at family gatherings -- but it is definitely not worth $40 in my opinion. The game is overly didactic, and it really only works well when you have five or six players.

A sampling of some of the chance cards:

"You have just been laid off from work. If you blame yourself, or foreign competition, or the Blacks, or Jews, move two spaces back. If you blame the Capitalists, move two spaces ahead."

"Your daughter has just eloped with the garbage collector. Skip a turn at the dice while you're thinking of something to tell the neighbors."

"If all wealth is produced by the Workers, then what right do Capitalists have to any part of it, let alone the largest part? This 'dangerous' question sends shivers up the spines of Capitalists everywhere. Grab 2 extra turns of the dice while the Capitalists are still shivering."

...and so on. I hear Anti-Monopoly is a lot better. -WD