[lbo-talk] Official Economic stats (was: Roubini)

joseph noonan joseph at noonan.ws
Mon Dec 15 16:43:01 PST 2008

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Patrick Bond wrote:
>
>> Wasn't that # constructed rather differently back then?
>
> Not really, no.
>
> Doug

OK, this is as good a time to ask what I've been meaning to ask since last spring when I read this article by Kevin Phillips in Harper's:

<http://www.tampabay.com/news/article473596.ece>

Doug, I know that you are (in general) of the opinion that the 'bourgeois' stats are pretty reliable and that it more of an issue how they are read. I also know you don't write off Phillips as merely a populist crank, so what do you think of this article in which he asserts the stats are regularly cooked to the detriment of workers?