[lbo-talk] Tut tut caucasians, kiss my derriere

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 13:51:36 PST 2008

"Most white guys in the US don't like to be talked about as white, homophobic, racist, fear ridden little chickenshits"

You don't say, Chuck? I must admit I know few people who like to be called cunts or bastards, or morons either. Weird, isn't it?

Chuck writes:

"I blew months and months trying to understand Strauss's writing and his views in the history of ideas, and was at a complete loss ...It's impossibly anal. It is picky to an absurdity. ...So, I got fed up trying to figure out Strauss. And that's when it hit me, as I explained in the post. Stop trying to find some intellectual points in Strauss. Just look at the guy himself. There's the motivation, there's the man. He is a clinical model of what's wrong with white male middle class America, and why they keep voting for assholes like Bush."

Look, maybe you are right about Strauss' obscurantism. What I have read does seem a bit overstrained, but not as worthless as you say, but then you have read more. Still, reading the above frustrations, what it sounds like is that you got fed up trying to understand the guy's ideas and...

... you did what? You attacked him for who he was, not for what he says.

I am sorry, but to me that is a textbook example of the ad hominem argument. Instead of addressing what he said, you push all that off to one side and give us a big lecture about what is wrong with the white male middle class.

The trouble is, it is entirely superflous to any understanding of what Strauss says. Does it matter that Strauss is the example of 'what's wrong with the white male middle class' in your argument? It hardly seems to matter. You could use exactly the same arguments to diminish Popper or J K Galbraith, Tom Hayden or Noam Chomsky. They are all privileged white guys in your analysis. But does knowing that tell us anything about the content of what they say? No. No more does it applied to Leo Strauss.

Stephen Smith makes a reasonable case here that Strauss' intellectual contribution is distinct from his political views. http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/764028.html

And it is not a very good lecture about what is wrong with the white male middle class, either. Your loathing at the "white, homophobic, racist, fear ridden little chickenshits, hidding in their SUVs " reminds me most of all of Allan Bloom's diatribes against slacker students listening to heavy metal music. Your snooty disdain for your fellow men has all the hallmarks of Bloom (and yes, I think you are right, Strauss's) elitism. Maybe you really think that the white population is the problem. I have always found those 'black vanguard' arguments to be an evasion, and an embarrassing one, at that.