[lbo-talk] AP: Top 10 Political/Econ quotes of 2008

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Wed Dec 17 23:53:22 PST 2008

On Wed, December 17, 2008 7:31 pm, Patrick Bond wrote:

> Realistic Postneoliberalism:
> A View from South Africa
>
> • there remains unjustified faith in the multilateral system (from Kyoto
> to Bretton Woods revivalism), which distracts us from the national-scale
> solutions that are both feasible and radical; and

Well, there's a bit of a false dilemma here, because the multipolar world is constructed out of specific national developmental states in Russia, China, SE Asia, Latin America, Central Asia and the EU. We need to think and act nationally as well as globally.

Maybe a better question is, how can S Africa begin to move beyond neoliberalism, and what kinds of solidarities are possible vis-a-vis the other social struggles of East and West Africa?

-- DRR