[lbo-talk] CJR praise for the Kunstler Cast

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 15:19:01 PST 2008

----- Original Message -----

From: Shane Taylor

He's an entertainer, not a scold. Funny, too. There is more rubber necking than preaching in his vignettes.

I beg to differ on that one. There is very much of the scold in Kunstler. For instance, at one point in the Long Emergency goes on at great length about what he thinks is wrong about Hip-Hop subculture and its associated clothing fashions - it was by no means clear what THAT had to do with the immediate context, which was speculation of what life would be like after peak oil. There are similar passages in his other books. I suppose being a prophet of gloom and doom gives you license to vent about your petty complaints.

I do agree that he is an excellent and entertaining writer. SR

Shane