[lbo-talk] CJR praise for the Kunstler Cast

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 08:13:33 PST 2008

Doug asked:

But aren't his targets fat American suburbanites, who are mostly white and Republican? Certainly my mostly black neighbors in Brooklyn haven't been living large on cheap oil.

Yes, he doesn't spare white Americans.

But when he describes what I assume to be his ideal future (and while he uses words of regret, the relish he takes in imagining it contradicts the lament) only white people are surviving in anything close to a civilized state.

Read "World Made by Hand". I think you'll understand what I mean.

I interpret his criticisms of "fat suburbanites" to be an attack on the 'wrong sort' of white person. Those who lack the sleeves rolled up, let's build a cabin spirit he celebrates.

In an odd way, he reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft. Lots of talent obscuring some truly mean spirited ideas.

.d.