[lbo-talk] Russia urges Hamas to reconsider ending truce with Israel

Sujeet Bhatt sujeet.bhatt at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 09:09:17 PST 2008

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081219/118954523.html

RIA Novosti

Russia urges Hamas to reconsider ending truce with Israel

MOSCOW, December 19 (RIA Novosti) - Russia has urged the radical Palestinian movement Hamas to reverse its decision to end its ceasefire with Israel, declared on June 19, a Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Friday.

Earlier on Friday, Hamas announced an end to the Egyptian-brokered truce in the Gaza Strip, blaming Israel for failure to meet its conditions - to ease the blockade of the Palestinian enclave controlled by Hamas and halt attacks.

"We believe it is essential for Hamas to reconsider its decision to end the truce," Andrei Nesterenko said. "The decision could lead to new victims and suffering among the civilian population."

"With rockets exploding and fire being returned, it is not possible to hold effective talks and move toward a political settlement aimed at ensuring the Palestinians' right to an independent state and the security of all nations in the region," Nesterenko said.

Nesterenko also urged Israel to end the blockade of Gaza, which could lead to "catastrophic humanitarian consequences for civilians."

-- My humanity is in feeling we are all voices of the same poverty. - Jorge Louis Borges