[lbo-talk] CJR praise for the Kunstler Cast

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 19 13:44:37 PST 2008

Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> Doug asked:
>
> But aren't his targets fat American suburbanites, who are mostly white
> and Republican? Certainly my mostly black neighbors in Brooklyn
> haven't been living large on cheap oil.

> Yes, he doesn't spare white Americans.
>

> But when he describes what I assume to be his ideal future (and while
> he uses words of regret, the relish he takes in imagining it
> contradicts the lament) only white people are surviving in anything
> close to a civilized state.
>
> Read "World Made by Hand". I think you'll understand what I mean.
>
> I interpret his criticisms of "fat suburbanites" to be an attack on
> the 'wrong sort' of white person. Those who lack the sleeves rolled
> up, let's build a cabin spirit he celebrates.
>
> In an odd way, he reminds me of H.P. Lovecraft. Lots of talent
> obscuring some truly mean spirited ideas.
>
> .d.

Kunstler is massively racist in this book. He very explicitly states that his surviving society of surviving good people are all white. He also makes it very clear that people of color survive ONLY as savages. People of color are always making violence on good white people. The women are all subservient to the man in their life. They are Stepford Wives, who cook and clean and stay home. Kunstler compares his bands of thugs (who are Black or Latino) to Native Americans attacking peaceful white settlers on more than one occasion. Kunstler started out as a scold who got his panties in a bunch over the ugliness of modernity. He was nothing but a scold wagging his finger at people whose choices he disliked. The Peak Oil/Cheap Oil environmentally unsustainability part came later. At least this is how remember him. I met the man one time and he told me how disappointed he was that Native People, who could have offered an alternative vision for white society (No he didn't say "white society") had instead chosen to trade in their heritage for trailers, alcohol, and video games. Fuck Kunstler.

John Thornton