[lbo-talk] Das Kapital Vol. 1 reading guide question

Yann Morvan ymorvan at cs.tcd.ie
Fri Dec 19 18:36:24 PST 2008

> The approaches that try to sidestep the first chapter, which is to say
> the Hegelian-logical re-working of the categories of economics, end up
> side-stepping the content of what Marx is telling us, and enjoying what
> he gives us, essentially, as a by-product, a good historical account of
> capitalist development.

Whatever Althusser's agenda was, the advice to start from part II, finish with part I, then reread the whole thing from the start makes sense for people like me who had trouble getting past the form of the first chapters.

After all you get the same outcome if you force yourself to doze through the first part without taking much in.