[lbo-talk] (Fwd) Fed pump-priming; Doug sees a fix, Whitney doesn't

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Dec 21 15:56:59 PST 2008

At 1:59 PM -0500 21/12/08, Doug Henwood wrote:

>I'll be very honest and say this: I have no idea of how to inject a
>Marxist program into American political discourse.

Here's how, talk about economic democracy. Americans love democracy, the more the better. No way they could be against economic democracy, it would be like being against motherhood.

> And if I were, by some weird accident, made Secretary of the
>Treasury or chair of the Fed, I have no fucking idea what I'd do
>beyond a left Keynesian program. Even that is pushing the envelope.
>There is no movement that makes anything more radical than that
>thinkable, and uttering words that fall on unprepared, unreceptive
>ears is little better than a monologue designed to make the speaker
>feel righteous to no real political effect.

Well luckily, you aren't going to be made Treasury Secretary. So you can agitate safe in the knowledge no-one would expect you to be able to actually implement economic democracy.

>You can't argue with a libertarian on these terms anyway. They'll
>always say that state intervention is the problem, and that
>deregulation with a safety net is a serious problem. He wants no
>safety net. He thinks deflation can be ok.

You have to explain that deregulation is actually economic dictatorship by the wealthy and powerful, rather than freedom. It isn't hard to get across.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas