[lbo-talk] Tombstone

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Dec 21 16:13:26 PST 2008

At 3:52 PM -0500 21/12/08, Doug Henwood wrote:
>On Dec 21, 2008, at 3:39 PM, MICHAEL YATES wrote:
>
>A really nice piece about Tombstone. Using the words:
>
>>barkers and hucksters
>
>Do Americans overspecialize in these? Or do other countries have as
>many as we do? Sometimes it seems like scamming and hot air have
>been central to our economy forever, not just since Enron or Madoff.

Australians erect big things in their towns, like the big pineapple, or the big prawn. Watched a fascinating docu the other night on the tele documenting the erection of the "Big Gumboot" in a north Queensland town which, as you might have guessed, has an immense annual rainfall.

I remember many years ago visiting the town. It was raining at the time and there was a plague of frogs which literally carpeted the town. I was selling magazine subscriptions door-to-door and there was no way to avoid treading on frogs with nearly every step, as I canvassed the town. So I guess the big gumboot was apt. But I can't fathom why any tourists would be attracted to come and look at a giant gumboot.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas