[lbo-talk] Tombstone

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:10:33 PST 2008

Chris Doss wrote:
> "Obmanshchik." From "obman," "deception, "obmanyvat," "to deceive."
>
> "Moshennik" = "con man."
>

> --- On Mon, 12/22/08, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there similar words to barkers & hucksters in other
>> languages? I'm
>> guessing they are, but I'd be curious to know.

I'm not sure about this, but I get the feeling that the English word huckster is distinct because it carries the connotation of someone whose deceptions are sort of obvious yet manages to sucker people through their own will to believe. We also have the word con-man, but it lacks that connotation.

SA