[lbo-talk] Tigar v. Posner

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Dec 22 14:35:28 PST 2008

While I was reading Jim Straub's great article in the Monthly Review, I came across another article that I think the legal beagles here on LBO would definitely be interested in. It is Michael Tigar's lecture on what's wrong with Judge Posner. I would strongly recommend it to Andie N and would very much like to hear his response.

Andie N knew Posner. I knew Tigar, from an extreme distance, as a friend of a friend I did know close up at UCB just after the Free Speech Movement. BTW, Tigar's father was a machinist and Tigar was student body president of one of my high schools, and graduated before I arrived. Tigar was denied a clerkship under Douglas, on rumors he was communist, and worked on the defence team for Terry Nicols in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Reading Tigar today, I could hear the sound of that old time religion preached at UCB back in the day.

I also think if anybody bothers to read the two posts on Strauss, and then read the Tigar article, you will hear the great debate in a multiple way. Me in much less eloquant ways against Strauss, Tigar in command of the word against Posner.

Thinking on it, I have to wonder if Posner might be an affectionado of Strauss or a related political philosopher...

Here is Tigar:

http://monthlyreview.org/0506tigar.htm