[lbo-talk] House Parties on Health Care

Sheldon Baker humanist.observer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 11:23:43 PST 2008

So I wonder, will Obama get the message and ice out the health insurance companies in favor of the peoples opinion? We could dream....

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/health/23health.html?_r=1&th&emc=th

VIENNA, Va. — When a dozen consumers gathered over the weekend to discuss health care at the behest of President-elect Barack Obama<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/o/barack_obama/index.html?inline=nyt-per>, they quickly agreed on one point: they despise health insurance<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/health/diseasesconditionsandhealthtopics/health_insurance_and_managed_care/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier>companies.

They also agreed that health care was a right; that insurance should cover "everything," not just some services; and that coverage should be readily available from the government, as well as from employers.