[lbo-talk] Living beyond one's means

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 17:55:16 PST 2008

It's still not clear to me what imperative is compelling us to bury capitalism outside of any ethical framework. We're under no obligation from history or the dialectic or any other useful abstraction to do anything. Or is Carrol making the philosophical distinction between morality (perhaps a shorthand for bourgeois morality only?) and normative ethics? Suppose we want to demolish capitalism. Either we do it because the mode of production is intrinsically evil or the consequences flowing from capitalist relations are evil.

For example, we can take Proudhon's position and say "Capitalism is theft", hence it is necessarily wrong based upon it's premises. Or we could argue, infant mortality and literacy rates in country X would be better under a system of worker's ownership of the means of production. There's no escaping morality, which as physical anthropologists will tell you, appears to extend to our primate kin.