[lbo-talk] Moral Foundations

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Wed Dec 24 19:00:58 PST 2008

Isn't morality a code of conduct enforced imperiously and usually arbitrary? Its basis usually irrational even where the convention is defensible-such as not defecating on the street. That is to say, morality is a method--a flawed one--of causing people to act in what is (arbitrarily, as it has to be I think) considered a socially responsible to manner. Morality is flawed fundamentally because it is irrational nature, i.e. it's disconnectedness from the reason the conventions exists, and is quantitatively flawed in that many of its conventions are out of date or are dubiously beneficial, in many cases being capitalized on by power in order to have us act against our own interests and in the interest of a small group (such as the case with the phobia of drug use)-flaws that IMO have remedies, many discussed in John Dewey's writings on education.

I don't think to say it is a "product of history" is to say more than a truism, at best. But at any rate, until it's made clear what one means by "morality" it would seem discussion a hopeless task. I think that in fact in the liberal mind morality, like religion*, is vaguely considered something "bad" and no more serious though is put into it.

*Yes, in fact most of us are very unclear what we me when we use the word religion. To my way of thinking Marxism qualifies as a religion, including what in effect is a belief God (i.e., the belief in Laws operating on history), but clearly most on LBO-Talk would disagree.