[lbo-talk] Moral Foundations

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 21:39:34 PST 2008

By what criteria should we judge tactics and strategy, in the *final analysis*, other than in light of some basic values? By their efficacy in dismantling capitalism? Again, Carrol has never answered, and never will answer, what should drive us to change society. According to his deterministic outlook, people are compelled to take action, to go on a general strike or lead a foco through the jungle, by forces beyond their control. The bottom line is this: if morals have no role in political action, then propaganda can scarcely play a productive part either.

Not all leftists or Marxists, incidentally, agree with Carrol. Some, indeed, have actually bothered to follow the latest science and understand that, in fact, human morality has evolutionary origins. In other words, moral systems are not merely contingent epiphenomena of different class societies. There is an innate, universal, basis to morality and ethics.

Marxism, Monkeys, and Morality By Thomas Riggins A recent article in the New York Times by Nicholas Wade (“Scientist Finds the Beginnings of Morality in Primate Behavior,” March, 20, 2007) explores recent scientific studies on the origins of the human moral sense in the evolutionary history of our order (the primates) and has led some biologists to the conclusion that “if morality grew out of the behavioral rules shaped by evolution, it is for biologists, not philosophers or theologians, to say what these rules are.” This opens a very interesting can of worms.

First, let me say that, from a materialist, especially a Marxist, perspective “morality,” or morally worthy behavior (MWB) didn’t just fall from the sky. MWB should be capable of being investigated in terms of the history of its development through time and in terms related to our historical evolution as a species.

Second, if MWB can be described in other species, and especially in species with whom we share an evolutionary history, it would seem to indicate there is a natural, biological basis, for human MWB And we should be reminded that it was the first biologist, as well as being a great philosopher (I mean Aristotle), who told us that, “He who considers things in their first growth and origin ... will obtain the clearest view of them (1252a25).

Link: <http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/articleview/5038/>