[lbo-talk] ellie mae question

Peter J. Schledorn pjs at groucho-res.bas.ncsu.edu
Thu Dec 25 09:32:20 PST 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008, Chris Brooke wrote:

> On 25/12/08 13:44, "Charles Turner" <vze26m98 at optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:00:23 -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >> I love Wagner. Many don't. It's heavy, complicated, and often gloomy
> >> in the Teutonic manner. I'd say give it a shot.
> >
> > I heartily recommend watching Chuck Jones' "What's Opera Doc?" after
> > the performance. It's on the "Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection volume
> > 2":
>
> It's also on YouTube, and, yes, it's magnificent:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDwDo_hTs2Q

I agree about "What's Opera Doc?", but the ultimate Wagner takeoff is by Anna Russell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve7wH-k8LgQ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKpKM53EdGg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWoWwYyhZg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH70fP8vq-w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM15dEexiu0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WduYrwAGews http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypisVrbqDqE

The first four are the classic audio recording, the last three are from a video performance from late in Russell's career (rather sloppily divided into parts). The more you love Wagner the more you'll enjoy it.

Best, Peter

> Chris

"A nation, as a society, forms a moral person, and every member of it is personally responsible for his society." --Thomas Jefferson to George Hammond, 1792