[lbo-talk] Moral Foundations

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 25 11:56:13 PST 2008

Chris Doss wrote:
> Why does this matter? Anything anybody feels is a product (largely) of the social relations in which they exist.
>
> I'm also starting to get annoyed by the idea that there is a specifically capitalist morality totally incommensurable with those that exist in noncapitalist societies. People throughout history have generally considered cheating and lying to be bad.

In the US cheating and lying in service to the empire is acceptable and encouraged although there is a preference not to have the falsehoods publicly exposed. Those behaviours also encouraged if used to make gobs of money as long as you don't cheat and lie to members of the ruling class. Fleecing public funds and fleecing the working class by deception is considered virtuous. The exemptions on the prohibitions against lying and cheating are so numerous as to make the idea of a general prohibition against such behaviour pretty meaningless.

John Thornton