[lbo-talk] Wherefore art thou, Megafauna? (human predation)

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 26 03:15:12 PST 2008

I am sceptical. As you say yourself, African (and Indian) megafauna are AGGRESSIVE. They do not fear human beings. The response of an elephant to being threatened by a human being is to attack and crush the annoying little hominid. Cape Buffalo and rhinos and hippos are also aggressive. (Not to mention crocodiles.) The things are effectively bullet-proof except to large-caliber weapons. What's some guy with a spear going to do? Other than die, I mean.

It is true that apex predators do not normally feed on people (except crocodiles), but I think that that is likely because human beings have not been around for long enough to become any species' customary food source. (Not to mention that by the time human beings were sufficiently numerous to be able to serve in this way they were already technologically advanced and therefore harder to get).