[lbo-talk] Wherefore art thou, Megafauna? (human predation)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 26 14:27:30 PST 2008

Chris Doss wrote:
> In the case of South America specifically, I suggest extremely tentatively that the sloth extinction may be part of the general replacement of indigenous animal species (like almost all the marsupials) by more efficient animals who migrated down the landbridge.

This is as good an explanation as any and is supported just about as well. The current vogue is for an anthropomorphic explanation but that may change in a few years or it may not. We just cannot know this with much certainty. It is quite possible that animals brought by humans carried diseases that flourished among some animals and wiped them out.

John Thornton