[lbo-talk] State run shit?

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 17:05:09 PST 2008

Obviously this isn't universally true. IIRC South Korea had state-owned steel mills that were the most efficient in the world, and there's the case of the Soviet Union, which had state-owned everything and outgrew the West until the mid-60s (although that's more a matter of savings rates than firm efficiency.) Medicare is the most efficient healthcare provider in the US. LBOers with a better grasp of history than I can provide other examples.

One theory for why SOEs are less efficient than private firms on average is that industries are often nationalized as a way of saving them - imagine if the US auto industry were nationalized right now, and you have the idea.

I don't think SOEs as currently practiced do represent what most on the left think ideal - the idea of worker management is clearly in there, and there is some evidence that worker management leads to higher productivity - but the inefficiency of these firms is problematic for us if we advocate nonmarket means of coordination and can't provide good theoretical reasons for their overall (if hardly universal) inefficiency.