[lbo-talk] State run shit?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 27 19:55:49 PST 2008

On Dec 27, 2008, at 10:33 PM, Thomas Seay wrote:
> Is state run necessarily more efficient than private? I don't think
> so. A lot of state-run enterprises in China are riddled with
> corruption and Communist Party managers often exploit the hell out
> of workers and put a lot of money in their own pockets. I wrote a
> short article on the state-run taxi service in China that points
> that out (I interviewed a lot of Beijing Taxi drivers for that
> piece). It is not a lone case.
> So, State run is not necessarily better. It's a political question
> of worker's control.

State-run is not in the least the same as publicly owned. Professionally managed public enterprises, like the railways in France and Germany or the Post-Office Bank in Japan, far surpass in efficiency their private-capitalist counterparts. State-run enterprises, however, reflect the general corruption and inefficiency of giant private capitalist firms.

Shane Mage