[lbo-talk] Local Protest

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 10:22:39 PST 2008

Allow me, between bites of tart crow meat, to take back what I said about the local protest against the Gaza assault. Carrol urged me offlist to go, if only to meet at least one person to talk to and link up with. So I did, and Carrol was right: I met several people who didn't fit the gray hippie stereotype I mocked yesterday. Yes, there were plenty of old hippies, but there were many more young people, primarily Palestinian and Lebanese, and a smattering of college students, as well as a handful of parents and their kids. I had a nice discussion with a local Palestinian activist and a young Israeli woman who works with her. They were filled with genuine human spirit, warming my creaky bones a bit, despite the cold temperature. So I'm glad I went. Now if I can find some hot salsa to cover some of this crow taste.

Dennis