[lbo-talk] Summers on The Plan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Dec 31 09:20:38 PST 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 11:05 PM, Patrick Bond wrote:

> I have great trust in you (why, I dunno)

Well don't put yourself under any strain on my behalf.

Look, Patrick. I didn't say that Summers plan was going to usher in Utopia, or anything resembling that. I said it's "not bad." There's very little in the way of a constituency or movement pushing for something more radical here in the U.S. (or, I'm told, for your sort of politics in South Africa, either). Schools, libraries, aid to state & local gov's, subsidies for and investments in clean energy may not represent a proletarian revolution, but they will make the U.S. a healthier and more humane place. Or are you against them?

Doug