[lbo-talk] layoffs = death

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Feb 1 07:44:57 PST 2008

> It is entertaining how armchair liberals who can't even elect an extra
> congressman or two become obsessed with making empty remarks about
> isolated and unamed marxists. What are you afraid of?
>
> Carrol

i thought this was interesting, from Lewis Higgins. It's not to address your question, but to move the conversation in a productive direction. My old prof's name was Frank Hearn, btw. What I was getting at was the tendency, shared by Chuck Grimes (I think), to want to punish the U.S. working class for not getting on board the klew train.

At any rate, this is what Lewis had to say then:

"It should be added that the "immiseration thesis" is really a legacy of the Cold War. It was a distortion of Marx used by the Communist parties to "prove" that workers in the West generally would suffer dire poverty if they did not emulate the state capitalist dictatorships. While the latter have been consigned to the dustbin of history, I think Marx's legacy deserves a more honest re-consideration."

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2000/2000-May/009526.html