[lbo-talk] Carl Remick, RIP

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 11:59:54 PST 2008

Carl was one of of my favorite posters on this list. I'm grateful that I think I even told him this when he was still on here -- but I'm too sad to go digging for the specific post.

His humor was incredibly razor-sharp. I never met him in person, but all it took was for me was to see that something had the name "Carl Remick" attached to it for me to read it. He was an *excellent* writer and had one of the best, wittiest, most acerbic senses of humor I've come across, online or off. I would often forward stuff he wrote from this list to my friends, or post onto other blogs with his permission -- and others often thought it was a hoot, too. His posts mocking consumerist "rebellion" when they would defiantly choose one size Starbuks coffee over another, for example -- really, some of those are classics, some of the best stuff I've ever read here. Or anywhere else, for that matter. He was such a great asset to LBO-Talk and I really can't express in words how empty it'll feel without him.

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"I just got an email from Judith Remick, reporting that her husband (and long-time list stalwart) Carl died on January 7. I'd suspected that his long silence was not good news. I'd only met Carl a few times in person, but I was very fond of him, and am very sad about this."