[lbo-talk] Neo-Realism: Chapter 2

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 17:45:48 PST 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:
> The right to kill a foetus (unhampered by either law or ideology or
> negative criticism) is the simple precondition for _any_ sort of
> feminism.
This begs a lot of questions. Why not state it differently: that the right to bear and raise a child in humane conditions is the simple precondition for any sort of feminism.

The fact that only the woman bearing a child has the right to decide whether she will bear it or not is indisputable, but it is not an adequate foundation for a political movement whose aim is to recast the relationship between the sexes, and the relationship between man and nature.
> Sexual relations must be equally unthreatening for both men
> and women or equality is a mockery.
I know what you're saying, but think about it. Having sex without pregnancy is extremely unthreatening for men. They've kept us in such a buzz about abortion that we have completely forgotten the other argument we should be having: about one's rights after birth.

Joanna