[lbo-talk] Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll

Simon Ward sedward at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 5 04:16:45 PST 2008

Interestingly the study lists Lady Godiva as a fictional character thought to be real. In actual fact she was real enough though whether she went around naked on horseback is open to question.

UKTV Gold transmits repeats of popular programmes. The AFP release does not reveal who carried out the poll (on behalf of the TV channel) and on what basis the surveyed people were chosen.

My guess is that this poll will create more myths about the British public than it dispells about British history.

Simon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Doss" <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 11:52 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Quarter of Brits think Churchill was myth: poll

This assumes the people answering the poll weren't taking the piss out of the pollsters...

--- Mike Ballard <swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> LONDON (AFP) - Britons are losing their grip on
> reality, according to a poll
> out Monday which showed that nearly a quarter think
> Winston Churchill was a
> myth while the majority reckon Sherlock Holmes was
> real.
>
> The survey found that 47 percent thought the 12th
> century English king Richard
> the Lionheart was a myth.
>
> And 23 percent thought World War II prime minister
> Churchill was made up. The
> same percentage thought Crimean War nurse Florence
> Nightingale did not actually
> exist.
>
> Three percent thought Charles Dickens, one of
> Britain's most famous writers, is
> a work of fiction himself.
>
> Indian political leader Mahatma Gandhi and Battle of
> Waterloo victor the Duke
> of Wellington also appeared in the top 10 of people
> thought to be myths.
>
> Meanwhile, 58 percent thought Sir Arthur Conan
> Doyle's fictional detective
> Holmes actually existed; 33 percent thought the same
> of W. E. Johns' fictional
> pilot and adventurer Biggles.
>
> UKTV Gold television surveyed 3,000 people.
>

> http://www.iww.org.au/node/10
> "Would you have freedom from wage-slavery.." Joe
> Hill
> http://www.iww.org/en/join
>

> Get the name you always wanted with the new
> y7mail email address.
> www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail

Lyubo, bratsy, lyubo, lyubo, bratsy, zhit!

ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ËÞÁÎ, ËÞÁÎ, ÁÐÀÒÖÛ, ÆÈÒÜ!

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ