[lbo-talk] Save the Doodle!

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Feb 5 09:30:12 PST 2008

martin wrote:

> I'd guess that most of the 'right-wingers' in the independent hardware
> business are simply reflecting the POV that they (rightly or wrongly)
> presume to be that of their customers, their suppliers, and their
> bankers.

The Sutherland family is an especially odious bunch of local right-wingers. They are mentioned in Frank's "What's the Matter with Kansas?" By yeah, you make a good point.

> Quality at the independents can be well worth the couple of dollars
> extra you may pay. In a local comparison, Home Depot sells a 1/2 in cdx
> plywood for somewhere around $11, while the indie sells a like product
> for around $13. But the indie is a 5 ply board, while the Home Depot
> product is 4 ply. (The strength of plywood lies in the alternating
> direction of the strands in their adjoining layers.) I can't figure out
> how they can alternate 4 plys and still have the two outer layers
> oriented to the long axis. Maybe diagonally?

Lumber mill magic glue?

I don't have lots of money, nor do my projects, but I'm not a cheapskate American when it comes to spending a few more cents if it means supporting an indie. I just got to get over being lazy and make an effort to patronize the indies more.

Chuck