[lbo-talk] Gawker sees Latino, Asian, anti-Black sentiment in Obama's Super Tuesday losses

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 08:38:42 PST 2008

John Gulick wrote:

Dadgummit, Dwayne, I was hoping you'd chime in with an editorial quip or three on this pseudo-scientific dreck... your humor typically goes well with the morning mug of hazelnut brew, except it's pushing 1am in JP and I'm sipping Suntory whiskey. "For relaxing times, make it Suntory!" Hell, for really relaxing times I'd just as well guzzle, not sip.

The _prescience of pop culture_? What kind of axiomatic so-dumb-it's-smart claptrap is that? It's neither absolutely false nor absolutely true... and precisely because of that it sure is banal.

[...]

Ha!

Suntory eh?

I've been a Suntory fan ever since I saw their ad featuring three smiling chaps nonchalantly walking down a Tokyo street wearing red lycra outfits and (working!) LCD screen outfitted helmets on their heads. The message seemed to be: you'll get so hammered, walking down the street in a red lycra suit while wearing an LCD on your head will seem quite reasonable. At last! An idea I can fully support.

Re: the Gawker article...

You're absolutely right, I should've provided intro commentary. I should've provided commentary because I posted the article as an example of the sort of 'analysis of America's racial barometer' (and similarly twee constructions) we're likely to get during this riveting Winter of Change. The Winter of Change is like the Winter of Discontent, but with worse soliloquies and more change inspired tears of change-tastic joy.

.d.