[lbo-talk] I hope you all vote(d) for Obama

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:08:24 PST 2008

DH:

It's not really organized in any way either. It's more a fan club than a movement, and one intoxicated by his alleged charisma (which, I gotta say, eludes me). How, out of something like that, can you get any accountability? Were Obama to win, he'd take office with the experience of two terms as a state legislator and two years in the Senate, half of which he's spent campaigning for pres. He will immediately turn to the party establishment, and probably a Republican or two, for advice, esp on foreign policy. He will be hounded from the center and the right to prove his seriousness as an imperial manager. His "social base" is held together by a mix of racial pride and allegiance to empty formulas like "change we can believe in." It will be uncritical and/or insubstantial.

JG:

Now THIS is quality product (tm)! Julio offered the most acute rationale for why a leftist might ponder supporting Obama (tm?), and Doug replied with the sharpest possible critique. Strange -- and a shame (?!?) -- how parliamentary cretinism elicits the higher faculties. The lbo-talk dialectic seems to reach a fever pitch every... oh... four years. Is it a lunar cycle or something? _________________________________________________________________ Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star power. http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_jan