[lbo-talk] Obama's inaugural address: make change our friend!

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 6 10:49:56 PST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Charles Brown wrote:

> So, does this mean you think Obama could actually win in racist
> America ? Seems like you are really worried that Obama might win.

Of course he could win. I think the next president is likely to be a Dem, regardless of whom they nominate. Obama doesn't have trouble getting the votes of white Democrats; he makes them feel good by saying race doesn't matter anymore. They can feel a burst of self- satisfaction and pride when they pull the lever or punch the button or whatever one does these days.

I'm not worried, really. I'm just exasperated by this mass hysteria.

Re: racist America. People dismissed that Gawker analysis of Hillary's strength among Latinos and Asians, but there's something there, no? It might be time to update Roediger's proposition that despising black people is the way to join the white race. It may be that despising black people is the way to become Americanized.

DOUG