[lbo-talk] Count Copula and the "yes we can" speech

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:21:06 PST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 2:16 PM, <shag at cleandraws.com> wrote:

> > I don't see this as first rate propaganda. I see it as pure schlock.
> > If I want first-rate propaganda, I'll watch Triumph of the Will.
>
> Obama is the Catherine MacKinnon for the oppressed white guy and nasa
> engineer. Remember last week when I said that his "yes we can" speech was
> premised on othering, and it made effective use of the copula? Well,
> watch, this is how he manages to be an empty signifier -- and you bet
> Monaco that I lay the blame at his feet. he knows precisely what he's
> doing with this -- that or his speechwriter:

Maybe he knows what he is doing. I didn't say he didn't. But since I am not a mind reader and assume that most politicians are actually know less about what they do than they let-on, I wouldn't know one way or another. But I don't think it matters.

All indications are that Kennedy knew what he was doing; Reagan probably didn't. Obama seems to be in the Kennedy and Reagan mold though we know next to nothing about his real politics, which is probably not good.

Will Obama be worse than Kennedy or Reagan as far as his actual policies? Maybe. It would be quite hard to be worse than Kennedy as far as destruction to Latin America, but who knows?

Will Obama be worse than Kennedy or Reagan as far as his fostering of illusions? Maybe. But I am not sure if that will turn out to be good or bad. Illusions sometimes are turn out to be good for the left if they eventually result in the right kind of disillusionment, i.e. the kind of disillusionment that leads one to fight for non-illusory social welfare and anti-imperialism.

I am only asking questions. Nobody has explained to me would be worse for the left than past presidents. Is he more of a threat to civil liberties, civil rights, social welfare or the environment than Reagan or Kennedy?

Once you make the usual adjustments for the historical conjuncture Is Obama even any different than Kennedy or Reagan?

Just wondering....

Jerry Monaco