[lbo-talk] Naomi Klein Goes Daft

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 20:19:55 PST 2008

one thing this conversation has proven is that Naomi Klein should be forgiven for not using these terms properly, if, in fact she didn't, a possibility which remains somewhat in dispute.

On Feb 6, 2008 10:46 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 February 2008 21:58:46 Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> > Huh? 150/4 = 37.5, so the mean is 37.5, and her statement is correct if
> > she used the term "mean".
>
> Which is what most people mean by "average", isn't it? Hardly
> anybody knows what the median even is, and as for the mode...!

I'd also note, on the rent control issue, that DC is overhauling it's rent control. I can't actually get my head around it, but supposedly it's supposed to be better for the renters.

http://www.grahamwone.com/content/view/25/115/

In any case, it's not getting rid of it anytime soon and a bill was introduced last month to increase the stock of affordable housing.

I also don't exactly see this as the only kind of expropriation possible so I'm not sure why it became the signature issue. In any case, the fairly widespread acceptance of music/movie piracy among young people is a promising development in this regard (the standard line being that media companies make so much already...sounds like expropriation to me). If we can just get them to start more squatter communities as well, maybe we'll get somewhere.