[lbo-talk] Count Copula and the "yes we can" speech

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 6 21:05:45 PST 2008

John Gulick wrote:
> shag (golly, I can't believe I wrote that!) posted:
>
> "It was the call of workers who organized;
> women who reached for the ballot;
> a President who chose the moon as our new frontier;
> and a King who took us to the mountaintop and
> pointed the way to the Promised Land."
>
> Gulick:
>
> Contra John Thornton, I don't find this to be spellbinding,
> but rather, insipid. Especially with Obama's pseudo-MLK
> cadence added.
>
> Barack Obama: political rhetoric
> Blink 182: punk rock
> New Line Cinema: independent film
>
> Others may follow suit if they so desire.

It isn't spell-binding on video or when read and no one claimed it was. Nor has anyone, least of all me, ever said his speeches had substance. I wrote specifically that "There is no substance to what he says..." If you go see him speak and want to disagree that he is a very mesmerizing speaker in person (which is my claim) then that's just fine but the above is a poor counter to my point about him being a spell-binding speaker. Perhaps if you re-read my post you'll see why your point above does nothing to refute my opinion that Obama instills a euphoria in his audience.

John Thornton