[lbo-talk] Celebrating Eve Ensler's political memoir, "Insecure at Last" (Radio Show)

Mitchel Cohen mitchelcohen at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 6 22:27:41 PST 2008

Steal This Radio #31 Celebrating Eve Ensler's new Memoir: "Insecure at Last"

Savannah Onion, Paul Gilman and Mitchel Cohen read from Eve Ensler's brilliant "Insecure at Last: A Political Memoir", and discuss what is meant by "security" and "insecurity" and how that impacts our politics and our existence. Eve is the author of the "Vagina Monologues" and is one of the most insightful POLITICAL as well as personal writers of our time.

Thursday, February 7, 2008 at 11 a.m., New York Repeated Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 6 pm, New York Only via the internet at TribecaRadio.net and click on "Live" at those times. * After that, it will be podcast/archived at TribecaRadio.net, click on Podcast, then click Steal This Radio, and then show #31, and you could hear it at any time.

An excerpt: "I am worried about this word, this notion -- security. I see this word, hear this word, feel this word everywhere. Security check. Security watch. Security clearance. Why has all this focus on security made me feel so much more insecure? What does anyone mean when they speak of security? Why are we suddenly a nation and a people who strive for security above all else?

"... Is it possible to live surrendering to the reality of insecurity, embracing it, allowing it to open us and transform us and be our teacher? What would we need in order to stop panicking, clinging, consuming, and start opening, giving -- becoing more ourselves the less secure we realize we actually are? How has the so-called war on terrorism given rise to this mad national obsession for homeland security, which has actually made us much more insecure at home and in the world?"

published by Villard Books, 2008

****************** Music: Mario Savio: Berkeley, 1964 Jefferson Airplane: "Volunteers" Dixie Chicks: "Tortured, Tangled Hearts" Simon & Garfunkel: "Patterns" Thompson Twins: "Doctor! Doctor!" Billie Holiday: "Tain't Nobody's Business if I Do" Manu Chao: "Clandestino" Must Be Tuesday: "My Boyfriend's Girlfriend Isn't Me" Ben E. King: "Stand By Me"

Please send your own songs or others you'd like us to play, to mitchelcohen at mindspring.com