[lbo-talk] Chelsea, ObamaGrrrlz, and bitches who take care of business (was: I hope you all vote(d) for Obama)]

shag at cleandraws.com shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Feb 7 07:39:05 PST 2008

> Author of a very creepy piece of campaign lit. It was on Slate a little
> while back.
>
> Chip off the old block, and all.

the only thing I could find on a quick skim was a reference to her forwarding a Robin Morgan piece, snip of the creepy part below, with the caveat she didn't agree with all of it.

Which piece of campaign lit did slate feature?

Joseph forwarded:

> "You can tell who the Hillary supporters are," the 19-year-old NYU
> student said. "They're old white women."

In defense of the decripit old fogies like my mother and a co-worker's mother who are in their 50s and have a thing or two to say about sexism in their life times, I am tempted to campaign for Clinton after reading that.
:) Robin Morgan brought me down to reality with this crap:

Goodbye to the so-called spontaneous “Obama Girl” flaunting her bikini-clad ass online—then confessing Oh yeah it wasn’t her idea after all, some guys got her to do it and dictated the clothes, which she said “made me feel like a dork.”

[note to Dwayne: ooooo. Female chauvinist pigs, they are everywhere, everywhere! Is not Ariel Levy Morgan's spittin' image? Natch. I can't even believe Morgan is backing a democrat at all! But anyway....)

Morgan continues: Goodbye to some young women eager to win male approval by showing they’re not feminists (at least not the kind who actually threaten thestatus quo), who can’t identify with a woman candidate because she is unafraid of eeueweeeu yucky power, who fear their boyfriends might look at them funny if they say something good about her. Goodbye to women of any age again feeling unworthy, sulking “what if she’s not electable?” or “maybe it’s post-feminism and whoooosh we’re already free.” Let a statement by the magnificent Harriet Tubman stand as reply. When asked how she managed to save hundreds of enslaved African Americans via the Underground Railroad during the Civil War, she replied bitterly, “I could have saved thousands—if only I’d been able to convince them they were slaves.” (http://www.womensmediacenter.com/ex/020108.html)

But then I read Donna and someone else she pointed to and, I have to say, I appreciate this rhetoric (still for the wrong things, but...) and think it's a whole lot more productive than the drivel about togetherness and we are more the same than not and other fairy tales. I wanted to puke when I read a letter urging Asian Americans to get out the Obama vote. Helen Steiner Rice fans should take steps to secure her place in history before she is overrun by campaign volunteers like that.

Anyway, one thing is clear: what connects the young women below with the two decrepit women I know who are clinton fans is not age, but this: Hurray for divisiveness. We are sick of people who think partisanship is a dirty word. We are sick of backing down.

Makes you wonder how many people are behind Hillary because of that, to me, far more worthwhile sentiment that the crap letter I read from Asian Americans for Obama letter I read recently.

Donna:

I don’t want a President I can have a beer with. I want the designated driver, the uncool mom, a total bitch (not that she’s one) who will clean up this mess and take care of business. No more nice guys who capitulate to Republicans. We’ve had Gore, Kerry now Obama. We need a total bitch to take care of business. (http://donnadarko.wordpress.com/2008/02/07/sanity-on-the-internet-2/ )