[lbo-talk] "yes we can"

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Feb 7 09:25:22 PST 2008

Given the constitutional strictures on radical political changes in the U.S. - divided government, the Senate, etc. - Reagan's transformation of U.S. politics was remarkable. Sure he signed the SALT treaties, but he crushed the Nicaraguan revolution and did more than a little to bring down the USSR. Firing PATCO was the signal to begin open season on unions. There was a transformation of domestic priorities. And he transformed the "common sense" of the masses - the

day to day understanding of how they live their lives. It was all real stuff, and mostly predictable. In fact, the transformation is probably so complete that you're not fully aware of it anymore.

CB: Well put. That's why it is correct and important to say and to repeat often that we are still in the throes of Reaganism in order to raise awareness and consciousness on that historical and political fact. Failure of progressives to use that term is not doing our job.