[lbo-talk] "yes we can"

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 7 09:47:17 PST 2008

> Given the constitutional strictures on radical
> political changes in
> the U.S. - divided government, the Senate, etc. -
> Reagan's
> transformation of U.S. politics was remarkable. Sure

[WS:] Correction - the transformation of society under Reagan administration. I think the real agents of that change were outside the realm of politics - the mobilized corporate interests, the wealthy, mobilized evangelicals etc. Reagan was merely what his nickname "great communicator" suggests - a spokesperson for those mobilized reactionary social forces. He did not cause the radical changes in the US society that you mention - he merely announced them.

The only way to undo those changes is not by presiodential politics but by countermoblization of progressive social forces against the unholy alliance of capital and organized religion in this country. However, I am skeptical if such countermobilization is possible any time soon.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ