[lbo-talk] Frum: conservative era finito

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 7 10:05:14 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2008, at 12:25 PM, Charles Brown wrote:
>
> > we are still in the throes of Reaganism
>
> Interesting piece in the FT - by David Frum, no less - on how we may
> be exiting those throes.

Here is a post I wrote yesterday but did not send --

"Charles A. Grimes" wrote:

> Why can't we all just get along? Somebody has to tell Obama we are in
> the middle of a civil war with the Right. We better start
> understanding that fact, and that only way to survive that war is to
> build a enough multi-racial, multi-culatural and working class
> coalitions to overwhelm them....

NO! What you call the right is probably a waning force. The _real_ right is to be found in the virtual overlap of McCain/Clinton/Obama. And, unfortunately, we are in nothing like a civil war but merely capitalist politics as usual. If the extreme right (i.e., totalitarian or theocratic) ever was an actual threat during the last 30 years (which I doubt) that threat has now ebbed.

The myth of "A Right" out to get us is The Great Myth that keeps leftists from splitting with their real enemy, the DP/RP Coalition. The most important 'plank' in current conservative ideology is the claim that racism and sexism has been overecome, that we can now 'go on' with our lives.

Carrol