[lbo-talk] See you in my social media living room

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Thu Feb 7 12:07:41 PST 2008

[I came across this blog from a few days ago in the course of a Google search. Even though I enjoy online communities such as lbo-talk, it is hard not to be astonished and disturbed at this degree of social atomization. If I get this far removed from the real world, please unplug me.]

http://pulverblog.pulver.com/archives/007896.html

Twitter: The New Place for Armchair Quarterbacks during the Super Bowl

The advent of social media is continuing to have its effects in our everyday lives.

Last night I wasn't at a Super Bowl party, yet I experienced the feeling of having quite a number of people around me, all consumed by what was happening each play during the Super Bowl.

Where was I? Well I spent the evening in my social media living room, with my Television tuned to FOX and my laptop tuned to twitter.

I enjoyed "watching" the non-stop play-by-play commentary being shared by my friends on twitter. And if someone wasn't commenting on a play they just saw or a catch that was or wasn't made, friends were also sharing their immediate reactions when each of the Super Bowl ads aired. Last night was my first "Social Media Super Bowl." I wonder how long it will be before broadcasters adopt an active social media strategy and discover ways to make their broadcasts both more interactive and a more intimate conversation.

Sometime during 2008 I wouldn't be surprised to learn when sports broadcasters create a twitter public timeline for an event and share with the public some of the active commentary being shared by passionate fans of the game.

And if you were on twitter during Super Bowl XLII, what is YOUR take on YOUR experience?

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam

http://lim.nl