[lbo-talk] See you in my social media living room

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 7 17:09:32 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008, at 3:07 PM, Colin Brace wrote:
>
>> Twitter: The New Place for Armchair Quarterbacks during the Super Bowl
>
> I'm feeling soooo old, because Twitter seems really stupid to me.

Let me outline the various technology developments that mark me as an old fart tech guy.

* I've never seen Twitter. Is this where people blog from their cell phone? I'm an email guy. I so rarely use my cell phone that my account has accumulated over 2,000 extra minutes. A prominent NYC activist recently flooded me with text messages. I finally had to tell this younger person to either call me or email me. Chuck don't text.

* I've never seen Facebook. I run several profiles on Myspace. I don't have the time to do everything over again at the social networking site du jour.

* I don't get del.icio.us.

* I'm mystified when I go to some bar and watch all of the ladies spending more time looking at their cell phones than at each other, or the guys, or the TVs.

* I almost had a fit when I tried to submit application materials to a local junior college. They wouldn't take anything on paper. I had to fucking scan everything. At least they had several scanning workstations.

* I miss getting rejection letters in the mail. These days employers don't even bother to tell you that you got rejected, even if you interviewed twice with them.

* Second Life is stupid.

* My main computer is still a 1998 Gateway PC. I do have a nice 2006 Toshiba laptop.

* My cell phone is over 4 years old.

Time to get back to Java and Ajax.

Chuck