[lbo-talk] I hope you all vote(d) for Obama

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 8 16:23:58 PST 2008

> Julio wrote:
>

> But the strongest reason in favor of Obama is, IMHO, that race largely
> intersects with class in the U.S. and in large swaths of the world. Blacks in
> the U.S. are the most oppressed sector of the U.S. working class.

Are they? How do you define oppressed? The 2000 census shows the African American poverty rate was 23.6 percent while the Native American poverty rate was 25.7 percent. The spread of lowest income counties helps highlight where poverty is most prevalent. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowest-income_counties_in_the_United_States Median personal income in 2006 according to the US Census Bureau and the Bureau of Indian Affairs was <$27,000 for African Americans, >$24,000 for Hispanics, and >$25,000 for Native Americans in the coterminous US. I can show different figures for Mean Income and/or for Households so I don't think trying to figure out exactly who is on bottom is productive. I find it less than helpful to try to list one minority group as more or less oppressed than another. It leads nowhere and is a tool used divisively more than anything else.

John Thornton