[lbo-talk] Obama, community organizer

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Feb 8 18:26:48 PST 2008

At 09:19 PM 2/8/2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

>The point is that Obama's spell as a community organizer seems to
>have amounted to nothing, other than his being adopted by some high-
>end foundations that greased his entry into the Harvard Law School,
>via a lakefront condo. Several serious left-wing types have cited his
>community organizing experience as actually meaning something, when
>it seems it doesn't.
>
>Dug

No shit. I keep reading that over and over again at blogs. They take it at face value and assume it's kind of like the breaking point between him and Clinton. They're both the same, they'll bleat. I just don't know what to do. But OBama, well, he was involved in community activism. That's kind of special. He cares. He *does* something and it was outside of conventional politics. That's sooooooo hawt! I'm voting for Obama! Wheeee. And their brain drops out of their head and I stand there, looking down at it, wondering if I should scoop it up for when they need it later or not.

These are otherwise smart people, who pride themselves on looking further than the surface. Who have a record of doing so.