[lbo-talk] AP-Ipsos poll: Majority Americans think, feel like, they're already in a recession

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 11:13:54 PST 2008

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/us-is-already-in-recession-majority-says/20080210113309990001

US Is Already in Recession, Majority Says By JEANNINE AVERSA, AP Economics Writer

WASHINGTON (Jan. 10) - Empty homes and for-sale signs clutter neighborhoods. You've lost your job or know someone who has. Your paycheck and nest egg are taking a hit. Could the country be in recession?

Sixty-one percent of the public believes the economy is now suffering through its first recession since 2001, according to an Associated Press-Ipsos poll.

[...]

"Absolutely, we're in a recession," said Hilda Sanchez, 44, of Waterford, Calif.

Squeezed by high energy and food bills, "we can't afford the things that we normally buy," she said. "We are cutting corners in our spending. For our groceries, we are buying a lot of generic and we are eating out less."

[...]

A cooling job market along with high energy and food prices are taking a toll on paychecks. Workers' average weekly earnings, adjusted for inflation, fell 0.9 percent last year. In 2006, earnings grew by a solid 2.1 percent.

Wall Street is unsettled and as a result, people's nest eggs are not what they once were.

In fact, that was the top economic worry in the AP-Ipsos poll. Fifty-nine percent said they were worried "a lot" or "some" about seeing the value of stocks and retirement investments drop.

"I really dread opening my (financial) statements," Sims said.

[...]

[More at URL above.]