[lbo-talk] Obama, community organizer

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 10 12:36:15 PST 2008

Dennis Perrin wrote:
>> This was discussed before. In 1969 there were definite plans to nuke the
>> Chinese installations in North Vietnam through which supplies flowed.
>> The size an militancy of the November Moratorium demos caused Nixon to
>> change his mind. Andie knows more about this than I do.
>>

>> Carrol
>>

> Hippies, rads, and freaks changed Nixon's mind? Or the prospect of a hot war
> with China?
>
> Dennis

In one biography of Nixon the claim is made that seeing a huge protest on TeeVee is what made Nixon change his mind about using Nukes. I wasn't there so I can't say but the report is credible. Nixon was angry the Chinese were continuing to supply the NV's and I think he also thought using Nukes would scare them out. It's been awhile since I read all this stuff so maybe I'm misremembering but I don't think so.

John Thornton