[lbo-talk] Obama, community organizer

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Feb 11 14:58:52 PST 2008

``Well, I'm calling a halt'' .d.

``So, the true difference between us is that I'm confindent in what I say and you aren't?'' CB

-----------

I hate it when two guys I like and respect equally, go at it. And I especially don't like to see a potentially interesting disagreement go down the one-upsmenship path.

Try to reconsider, both of you. There are really interesting arguments going on underneath this bickering.

First off, IMHO there is a generation gap between you. Charles must be my age, if he was there for the Detroit insurrection----and it was that---an urban guerrila war that went on for days. On the other hand Dwayne grew up probably in the 70s, making him in his mid to late thirties. That was a huge difference of perspective on the world. This difference holds great interest to me, since it reminds me of the difference between me and my son who is 33 and a doctor (also a tech nut)

Another thing. D is a high-tech pro. Charles is a lawyer and old time civil rights activist (guessing here) and what in anthro? Teacher, researcher, a once considered profession? . There's a tremendous difference in sensibilities between these fields and a certain unspoken mistrust between them.

I've spent a lot of time in the last couple of decades trying to navigate between all the above.

Therefore, I have a great interest in hearing more on this exchange, at a different level.

Side notes.

In the waay back, when I first started arguing politics and events with old-time lefties from the 30s-40s I often became exasperated with their continual return to Marx. I thought we were far beyond Marx in 1961-2. It took me years to see the deep connections, and to see Marx as a sociologist---in fact, early 90s. Of course it helped a lot to start reading Marx and not interpretations. I rarely go that `old' feeling from him. The reading often seemed almost as fresh as last month.

Hopefully, either of you can take it from here...

CG